Well, it's been a week of paleo, and my husband and I have survived! Honestly, it's not difficult to maintain a paleo lifestyle, because there are so many things that you can eat. It's just that when it happens to be Valentine's week... well, that's hard. We were even offered FREE dessert when we went out to dinner. And we said no, thanks. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I'm pretty proud of us for that moment of determination!
One of the most difficult mountains to face when switching over to paleo is how to conquer hunger when it strikes (which is much more often than it did before!). The key here is PREPARATION. Don't give hunger the upper hand and cave to your old habits. You just have to be ready for it!
We all know inherently that carbohydrates and fats keep us fuller longer, and that's why we usually gravitate toward some hearty toast or a big sandwich when we know we won't have a chance to eat for a while. Well, that big ol' piece of grainy bread is no longer an option, so what about carb and fat alternatives?
Sprinkling your diet with carbohydrates in the form of fruits and and with lovely fats in the form of avocados, coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, and nuts is a great way to curb a grumbly tummy.
We have been starting every day with an egg & veg scramble, half of an avocado, and a bit of fruit, which satisfies all of our nutrient needs for the morning. I then prepare some snacks for us to keep in the fridge so that a quick bite is only seconds away, and doesn't include bad sugars or starches. One of our favorite snacks is crunchy sticks. You could easily call it a celery stick, but that's not nearly as fun!
- organic celery stalks
- Simply Almond almond butter
- honey roasted almond slices (Trader Joe's has the bomb!)
- dried cranberries, raisins, or cherries
- Clean each celery stalk thoroughly, cut off the ends, and then cut each stalk in half.
- Scoop out some of the Simply Almond butter with a knife, and gently smooth it into the groove of the celery sticks.
- Place about 3-4 dried fruits or sliced almonds onto the almond butter.
- Store it in your fridge or munch on it right away. Voila! The easiest snack ever.
And there you have it, the easiest snack ever. It's delicious, nutritious, gives you that crunch factor, and staves off hunger due to the healthy fat content of coconut oil and almonds in Simply Almond. Yum!